Paul Heinegg's classic study "Free African-Americans of Virginia, North Carolina , South Carolina, Maryland and Delaware "illuminates the shadowy origins of colonial free persons of color in British America featuring over 2500 pages worth of family histories. For years, I've been fascinated by the social world and historical processes that created this unique population of Americans. Little did I know, some of my ancestors were part of this group. My GIBSON ancestors originated in 17th century Jamestown and I get occassional DNA matches from people with surnames such as LOCKLEAR and CHAVIS covered in Heinegg's volumes. If you have deep colonial roots in America, you may discover a few ancestors in Heinegg's list. His companion website, http://www.freeafricanamericans.com/ is a companion website to his volumes occasionally updated with new research findings valuable to historians and genealogists alike.
Best of luck!
RS
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Staff Meeting Notes
Staff Meeting 20 DEC 2022 notes Agenda and notes can be found here: CLATeam>FY23>Agendas>Rolling Agenda
-
MEETING NOTES 9/23/2021 I. Agenda A. Genealogy After Dark will be Virtual on Friday October 15 th and avail...
-
Locations opening email 21 June 2021 1:11pm release HPL webpage updated please use the “all locations” for information Temps still be...
No comments:
Post a Comment