Thursday, October 13, 2016

New Civil War Database Online (NPS)

From Randy Pace (CLF):

"I have found an incredible website which is free for searching Civil War soldiers, collections, etc.  The new site has been created by the National Park Service (NPS) at https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/index.htm. I have compared it to the "American Civil War: Research Database" on the HPL website which is great too. However, there is additional info on the NPS website. I also compared the results of the SAME search on both websites and got slightly different results so if one does not find something on one, it might be found on another or additional info can be obtained as well. The current site on the HPL website gives the complete roster of soldiers in a particular company searched which is a great feature too, but not on the NPS website. It might be wise under Fold3 to also advise clients to search one of these two websites first, before going to Fold3, which I find very challenging to find anything. But with the exact info found at the two websites, it would make searching Fold3 more effective!!!"

SB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Staff Meeting Notes

  Staff Meeting 20 DEC 2022 notes Agenda and notes can be found here: CLATeam>FY23>Agendas>Rolling Agenda